An Introduction to Glen Cove History
An overview of the history of Dosoris, the estate of Rev. Benjamin Woolsey founded in the 1730's
in northern Glen Cove. This is an 1893 article by Georgiana M Clapham, originally published in
the October 1893 issue of New England Magazine. Fairly well researched.
Musketa Cove Becomes Glen Cove (1834)
A look at how old "Skeety Cove" was renamed as Glen Cove.
Land Use In the Garvies Point/Landing District (1830-1840)
This is a test of the feasibility of using the 1830's Coast and Geodetic Survey maps of Glen Cove
to analyze land use patterns in Glen Cove during that era.
Some Glen Cove Earthquakes (1844-1893)
Even a geologically stable area like Long Island gets the occasional small tremor! Here's a look
at a few tremblers in the 19th Century
The Glen Cove Waltz (1846)
Was this piece of music named in honor of our community? We can't be sure just yet.
Fresh Pond Farm - The Thomas T Jackson Estate & Summer Resort (ca.1850-1890)
Located at the north end of what is today's Crescent Beach Road, Thomas T Jackson operated his
estate as a resort during the summer months. One of his most prestigious guests was
presidential candidate Stephen A Douglas.
The Kirk Building (1859)
Glen Cove's first three storey brick building was constructed in 1859 to house the offices and
press of the local newspaper and the Coles' general store.
Bowne's Glen Cove Directory (1867)
Local antiquarian Jacob T Bowne compiled a manuscript directory of local businesses and
tradesmen in 1867
Some 19th Century Glen Cove Business Ads
Scans of advertisements appearing in a 1876 issue of the Glen Cove Gazette. Grab a dozen oysters
at Hawkhurst's Oyster Saloon, or some ice cream at Williams' Drug Store, and don't forget to
buy a pig from Madison Ham!
Benhams & Stoutenborough's Tinware Factory (1870)
Located on Glen Street next to the site of the Justices' Court, Benhams & Stoutenborough helped
fulfill the nation's need for every sheet tin items from pie pans to coal scuttles.
Establishment of the Glen Cove Telegraph (1872)
After years of meetings, proposals, and fund raising efforts, Glen Cove is finally connected to the
rest of the world by a telegraph!
Charles Appleby's Trout Pond (1873)
One of the early "Gold Coast" estate owners in Glen Cove constructed his own trout pond at
Garvies Point in order to ensure a ready supply of tasty fish for his dinner table.
The Glen Cove Breakwater (1888)
Authorized in 1888, Glen Cove's massive stone breakwater was designed and constructed by the
Army Corps of Engineers to protect Glen Cove's steamboat landing and adjacent waters. By
Richard J Reynolds.
The Race of the Presto (1892)
A young woman's account of a catboat race at the Hempstead Harbor Club in 1892... which
cincentrates more on the social events of the day than racing. Still, an interesting look at a
family's participation in a sail race in the late Victorian era.
The Bells of St Patrick's Church (1900)
In 1900, two wealthy Gold Coast families donated a peal of bells to St Patrick's Church (then
under construction) in Glen Cove
Leahead - The Henry W J Bucknall Estate (1900)
A brief history of the Red Spring Colony estate of cork and linoleum magnate Henry Bucknall.
Harbor Beach Pavilion (1902)
In 1902, a group of affluent residents constructed a bathing pavilion at Garvies Point to provide
Glen Cove residents with a place to enjoy the beach - after affluent residents of Glen Cove seized
most of the beaches in Glen Cove for their estates.
Station 10, New York Yacht Club
The first home of the New York Yacht Club (built 1844) was moved to Glen Cove in 1904 to
become the club's Station 10. It was one of the most famous landmarks on Glen Cove's waterfront
throughout most of the 20th Century. By Richard J Reynolds, originally published in the
Summer 1997 isue of the Long Island Forum.
The Day Morgan was Shot (1915)
A deranged Harvard professor burst into J P Morgan's Glen Cove mansion in an effort to stop
World War One. (Large file... please be patient while it downloads!)
Boy Scout Camps At Appleby's Woods (Garvies Point) (1915-1920)
Between 1915 and 1920, two early Boy Scout camps were in use in Appleby's Woods (now Garvies
The Tree of Light: Glen Cove's First Community Christmas Tree (1915)
In 1915, Glen Cove erected its first outdoor, community Christmas Tree as part of a national
movement to bring communities togather.
Somewhere In France: Glen Cove's World War One Soldiers Write Home (1917-1919)
Excerpts of letters written by Glen Cove's soldiers serving in France during World War One.
Streets Named For Glen Coves War Dead: World Wars One and Two
A look at the streets named for Glen Cove soldiers and sailors who made the ultimate sacrifice in
World Wars One and Two.
Gem Cutting in Glen Cove (1919)
A prominent NYC company started a gem cutting business in the abandoned Presbyterian church
in Glen Cove in 1919, employing mostly young women to do the delicate work.
Wreck of the Rumrunner W T Bell (1927)
Carrying a cargo of $500,000 worth of illegal booze, the schooner W T Bell was reportedly
headed for Glen Cove when she went aground in a gale off Bayville.
Glen Cove's War Dead: World War Two
Biographies of Glen Cove's soldiers and sailors who gave their lives for their country. (This
section is incomplete... but its a start)
Solomon Bessel - Killed in Action in the Pacific 1943
Dr Tiffany Manning - Killed in Action in Europe 1944
Howard T Reynolds - Killed in Service 1944